If you work with scores or parts, you need to know about the cool new free tool that is Partifi.
Partifi takes any PDF file of a full score, splits it into parts, and lets you download the parts as PDF files, share parts online, or print them. Here’s a quick peek at what it can do:
Original PDF full score (from IMSLP): Violin Concerto in E major, RV 269 (A. Vivaldi)
PDF parts generated by Partifi for violin I/II, viola, cello, bass, and solo violin
Not only can it do that, but it has a bunch of bells and whistles that are really well-done:
- Custom labels for parts
- Add bar numbers and rehearsal letters
- Combine multiple parts into one
- Apply tempo/dynamic markings across all parts
- Edit the metadata (title, composer, edition) of the PDF files for the parts
- Manually deskew scanned score pages
- Download parts in Letter or A4 paper sizes
- Create and share your own personal library of scores and parts on the Partifi website
Or, you can access Partifi directly from the IMSLP website:
Hopefully, now that you’ve seen what Partifi can do, you’ll realize what a gift this is to the musical community to make it available for free. And you might be inspired to support the project with a donation. Or follow Partifi on Twitter or Facebook to keep up-to-date.
Lastly, here are four two-minute help videos that show how to use Partifi. Watch them – I was impressed when I saw what’s possible with this tool.