I’m still planning my project to build a portable iPad scanning stand for scanning scores and books from the music library. But first, I wanted to know if there are products out there for this.
These are my desired criteria for an iPad scanning stand:
- Portable – disassembles or folds flat and fits in my backpack
- Can fit a whole US-standard letter-sized page in the iPad camera’s image (see the required measurements from Preliminary experiments for do-it-yourself iPad scanning stand / document camera)
- Can accommodate different page sizes larger or smaller than US letter
- Can accommodate bound books – even large ones (e.g. orchestral scores)
- Won’t break the bank
I had a stroke of inspiration the other week and realized that instead of Googling “iPad scanning stand” to find such products, I should search for “iPad document camera stand” instead. I’ve posted the results of my product research on Pinterest. It’s still a nascent industry with just a handful of standout products (that still don’t meet 100% of my criteria). Also, with one exception, all of the products currently available will set you back anywhere from $30-$200. In light of this, I’m going to follow up with a post on some existing do-it-yourself approaches to building an iPad document camera / scanning stand.
Here is the pinboard I created on Pinterest:
- iPad scanning stand / document camera DIY ideas
- Portable scanning of scores & reference materials: smartphones, iPad, scanners
- Preliminary experiments for do-it-yourself iPad scanning stand / document camera
- More posts tagged “scanning”